no fees unless we win

Suffolk (631) 621-6183

Nassau (516) 240-9904

proudly serving all of long island
Millions recovered in verdicts & settlements for our clients since 1994
click here to requestyour free consultation
click here to requestyour free consultation

Protect Yourself From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a very dangerous gas that can be lethal if not detected. Even scarier is the fact that it is colorless, odorless and tasteless. This harmful gas is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel. Therefore, the gas can be emitted from things like cars, trucks, lanterns, small engines, stoves, grills and furnaces.

Every year, over 400 people die from Carbon Monoxide exposure and over 20,000 are taken to the emergency room. These are incidents that are not linked to fires and most often occurred unknowingly due to being unable to detect the presence of the gas. For people who do die of “smoke inhalation” in a fire, it is really the Carbon Monoxide that caused the death. Infants, elderly and people who are anemic are at a greater risk of getting sick from CO.

As scary as Carbon Monoxide is, and the amount of things we use that emit the gas, we generally don’t think about it. That is because premises are expected to have carbon monoxide detectors in their buildings to warn people of its presence as well as use trusted products that won’t leak the gas. However, if proper CO detection is neglected, someone could be seriously harmed.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

High levels or carbon monoxide can kill in less than five minutes. But cases of low levels will cause symptoms to appear slowly. When you breathe in Carbon Monoxide, the first thing you will feel is a general sickness and fatigue. If you leave the area that is infiltrated, you will start to feel better. This is an indicator that the dangerous gas is present. If its effects continues, dizziness, nausea and loss of consciousness could occur.

How to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The most important thing to ensure you are safe from CO poisoning is to have a CO detector. Check to see if your smoke detector doubles as a Carbon Monoxide detector. Place it in a location where the alarm will easily be heard. Monitor the batteries and always replace them when instructed. The CDC also recommends replacing your detector completely every five years.

Additionally, familiarize yourself with things that could potentially emit Carbon Monoxide. Check your equipment that runs on gas. It is a good idea to ensure that any gas appliance you own has a seal of a national testing agency so that you know it shouldn’t cause harm. Maintain the proper upkeep for your heating systems, water heaters and other gas, oil and coal burning appliances by having them serviced by a technician every year. Never use a portable gas stove or a generator inside your home.

You will also want to make sure your gas appliances are vented properly. Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year. A build up of debris could cause a blockage in a chimney, allowing the gas to travel into your home.

When You Are Ill from Someone Else’s Negligence

Getting ill from Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be devastating. You might ask yourself, “How did this happen?” One minute you are fine and the next you are dizzy, can’t breathe and maybe even losing consciousness. This could lead to even more injuries, and now the medical bills are piling up. However, you might be able to gain compensation if you can determine the source of the poisoning. One of two things can occur that can lead to financial compensation.

  1. A faulty product

As mentioned earlier, products that emit CO are expected to be made in a way that won’t leak or cause others harm. If a defect in the product caused gas to fill up your home or didn’t warn you of the danger, the manufacturer may be at fault. For example, if a Carbon Monoxide detector that didn’t properly detect the gas despite having a power source would mean the product was defective and should have prevented harm. Another example would be a leaky furnace where the manufacturer owes a duty of care to the consumer.

  1. A neglectful premises

Another example of neglect would be if you were poisoned in someone else’s premises. For example, if you stay in a hotel where there is a leaky furnace and you get poisoned, both the manufacturer of the furnace and the hotel are responsible for the harm it caused. If this has happened to you or a loved one, contacting an experienced lawyer can help you gain financial compensation for the harm that Carbon Monoxide poisoning has caused.