Long Island Dog Bite Attorney
Experienced Dog Bite Attorneys Serving Long Island, NY
Each day about one thousand people in the United States require emergency room treatment as a result of dog bites. There are many reasons a dog may lash out and bite a person. It may be a reaction to a stressful situation. The dog may be scared or feel threatened. They may be very possessive in nature. No matter what the reason, if you are bitten and injured by another person’s dog, you may have a claim against the dog owner. For assistance, hire a Long Island Dog Bite Attorney.
However, New York has one of the most lenient dog bite laws in the country. In order for a dog owner to be responsible for injuries caused by their dog, it must be proven that the dog had exhibited prior vicious propensities. If prior vicious propensities cannot be established then there is no liability on the dog owner’s part. There are many ways to establish prior vicious propensities and an experienced personal injury lawyer will know how to investigate the issue. Palermo Law is a Long Island Personal Injury Law Firm dedicated to representing individuals that have suffered serious dog bites as a result of a negligent dog owner.
Get Justice for your Dog Bite
Not all accidents require the assistance of an accident attorney. But if you have been injured from a dog, it’s a good idea to speak to an attorney before discussing your case with the representative from the property owner. Often, a personal injury attorney can protect your legal rights, recoup compensation for lost wages and medical bills and obtain a settlement for your pain and suffering.
How much is my dog bite case worth?
The value of an injury suffered in a dog bite is an accumulation of several different factors. These include any accident-related economic expenses such as lost wages, as well as non-economic losses such as pain and suffering. At Palermo Law, our experience in handling thousands of accident cases allows us to accurately assess the value of your case to determine the fairest settlement or jury award. In cases of long-term injuries, we partner with experts in the fields of medicine and economics to make sure that your compensation is adjusted for future inflation. This allows you peace of mind knowing that you will be compensated for years to come.
WHEN ARE DOGS MOST LIKELY TO BITE?
- When attached to a chain
- When protecting their territory in their own yards
- Being approached from behind
- Getting close to or touching the dog’s food bowl
- Running away from the dog in fear
- Eye contact with the dog
- When growling or showing teeth
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO WHEN A DOG SEEMS LIKELY TO ATTACK?
- Don’t scream or run away
- Try to remain calm
- Speak quietly and calmly
- Avoid eye contact with the dog
- Stay still or slowly back away
- If knocked down, curl into a ball
- Use your hands to protect your head, neck and face
- Make a fist to protect your fingers
- Give the dog your sweater or jacket as a distraction
- Back away (slowly) while the dog is ripping your sweater or jacket
Service We perform:
- Identifying all potential sources of recover including no-fault insurance limits and all bodily injury insurance limits.
- Complete investigative services including gathering of all relevant documentation such as accident reports and witness statements, medical records and reports. We often engage the help of experts in the field of accident reconstruction, medicine and economics to help support your claim.
- We will handle all no-fault insurance communications and paper work free of charge.
- We litigate your case. If your case cannot be settled we will litigate it in court. It is always our goal to obtain fair compensation for our clients without the need for trial. But rest assured, if your case does not settle we will be prepared to take your case to trial
Why Hire Palermo Law?
- We always offer a free no obligation consultation.
- We never charge a fee unless we win your case.
- We provide personal one on one attention to every client.
- We handle all no-fault insurance communications and paperwork for you free of charge.
- We have over two decades of experience litigating car accident cases on Long Island.
- We have obtained numerous million dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients.
About Our Suffolk County Personal Injury Law Firm:
We are a true accident litigation law firm. With two decades of experience, Premises Liability Attorney Steven Palermo heads the legal team at Palermo Law. He personally handles each client’s accident case from its inception through conclusion. He has litigated hundreds of personal injury cases and won several million dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients. He has a passion for helping injured people find justice in their fight against large multi-million-dollar insurance companies that try and minimize his client’s injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries as a result of another persons negligence and would like schedule a free case evaluation from an experienced Long Island Slip and Fall and Trip and Fall Accident Attorney, call or email us today.
Trial Ready Strategy
Most personal injury lawsuits are settled out of court at some point before a trial. Many personal injury law firms on Long Island don’t fully prepare their cases for trial when anticipating a settlement. This weakens their position when it comes time to negotiating a settlement. At Palermo Law, we always fully prepare every case as if it is going to trial. This level of preparation gives us the leverage to negotiate the highest possible compensation for our clients and puts us in a strong position should a trial become necessary.
Focused on Helping the Injured
We realize that being really well versed in any one area of law takes focus. Personal injury law is no exception. That’s why our Long Island personal injury lawyers only handle personal injury cases. Steven Palermo, our managing partner, has been exclusively handling personal injury cases for the last two decades. We handle all types of personal injury cases for the injured, including car accidents, slip and falls and work related accidents. We have never represented an insurance company and never will. We do what we do because we love helping people.
We offer every potential personal injury client a free, no obligation consultation at any of our five locations throughout Long Island. During the consultation, we will discuss your case in detail and give you our opinion on the chances of success. We will also discuss our potential strategy and our process for handling your case. If after fully discussing your case we feel it is a good fit for our Long Island Personal Injury law firm, we will discuss our fees and give you the option of moving forward with us as your lawyers.
Additional Personal Injury Resources
- Protect Yourself Before & After A Dog Bite
- What Is No-Fault Coverage?
- How To File Your New York State No-Fault Application
- What To Know Before Handling Your Own No-Fault Claim
- Understanding New York State’s “Serious Injury Threshold” Statute
- Additional No-Fault Coverage (“APIP” & “OBEL”)
- Understanding MVAIC – For Victims Of Motor Vehicle Accidents With No Access To No-Fault or Bodily Injury Coverage
Contact a Long Island Dog Bite Attorney
We have litigated hundreds of accident cases over the last two decades. As a result, we’ve become very proficient in handling all aspects of accident litigation including no-fault and property damage claims. We know all the ins and outs of Long Island accident claims and will use our experience to make sure you receive full compensation. We handle all Suffolk county accident cases on a contingency basis. This means we never charge an upfront fee and only get paid if we win your case. Contact us today.