Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer
Experienced Truck Accident Lawyers Serving Long Island, NY
Long Island roads frequently accommodate large commercial vehicles like Box Trucks, Eighteen Wheelers, and Dump Trucks. With these vehicles weighing 20 to 30 times more than the average car, accidents involving them can lead to severe consequences for smaller vehicle occupants. If you’ve sustained injuries in a truck accident on Long Island, securing the expertise of an experienced Long Island Truck Accident Lawyer is crucial.
Common losses resulting from truck accidents include property damage, lost wages, medical expenses, out-of-pocket costs, and pain and suffering. Seeking guidance from a truck accident attorney promptly after an incident is advisable. Early engagement with legal representation safeguards your rights, ensures timely compensation for medical bills and lost wages, and fortifies the groundwork for a robust personal injury claim. Moreover, initiating an early investigation aids in preserving vital evidence pivotal to your case.
Given the propensity of trucking companies to vigorously defend cases involving their drivers, swift action is imperative. These companies often deploy emergency response teams immediately following an accident to collect evidence favoring their clients. Therefore, delaying legal assistance could jeopardize your case. Act promptly to enlist the support of an adept lawyer and safeguard your rights.
How Much Is My Long Island Truck Accident Case Worth?
The value of an injury suffered in a truck accident is an accumulation of several different factors. These include any accident related economic expenses such as damage to your car as well as non-economic losses such as pain and suffering. At Palermo Law, our experience in handling thousands of accident cases allows us to accurately assess the value of your case to determine the fairest settlement or jury award. In cases of long-term injuries, we partner with experts in the fields of medicine and economics to make sure that your compensation is adjusted for future inflation. This allows you the peace of mind knowing that you will be compensated for years to come.
Common Causes of Long Island Truck Accidents
- Driver Fatigue: Long hours on the road often lead to driver fatigue, impairing reaction times and judgment. Truck drivers are subject to strict regulations regarding rest breaks, but non-compliance remains a prevalent issue.
- Distracted Driving: Distractions such as texting, adjusting navigation systems, or eating while driving can divert a truck driver’s attention from the road, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Speeding: Sometimes truckers will speed to meet deadlines. Trucks require longer stopping distances due to their size and weight. Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to react to sudden changes in traffic conditions or obstacles on the road.
- Improper Loading: Incorrectly loaded cargo can lead to shifts in weight distribution, causing the truck to become unstable and potentially leading to rollover accidents.
- Mechanical Failures: Faulty brakes, tire blowouts, or other mechanical issues can compromise a truck’s ability to operate safely, especially when traveling at high speeds on highways.
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a significant risk factor for accidents among all drivers, including truck drivers.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Lack of experience or inadequate training can impair a driver’s ability to handle a large commercial vehicle safely, leading to errors on the road.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Long Island experiences various weather conditions throughout the year, including heavy rain, snow, and fog, which can reduce visibility and traction, increasing the likelihood of accidents involving trucks.
Five Essential Tips for Long Island Truck Accident Victims Immediately Following An Accident
- Seek medical attention for any injuries, even minor injuries. Often injuries that result from a motor vehicle accident intensify in the hours and days following an accident. It’s good to be cautious.
- Obtain a Police Accident Report. It is always a good idea to call the police to the scene of the accident. However, it is also possible to file a police report following the accident.
- Contact your automobile insurance carrier to report the accident. Any medical bills will need to be paid by your no-fault insurance.
- Do not give any statements to the other vehicle’s insurance company without first consulting with an attorney.
- Contact an experienced truck accident lawyer for a free consultation.
Should I Still File A Truck Accident Claim If I’m Partly At Fault?
In New York, the principle of “comparative negligence” applies. This means that even if you are partially responsible for an accident, you can still seek compensation for your damages, adjusted according to the percentage of fault attributed to you.
For instance, if you initiate a truck accident claim against another party involved in the accident, the determination of fault becomes crucial. The comparative negligence concept then comes into play, evaluating whether you shared responsibility for the accident with the defendant. Let’s illustrate this with an example: Suppose your damages amount to $100,000, but you’re found to be 10% at fault for the accident. In such a scenario, you would be eligible to receive 90% of your damages, totaling $90,000.
Cases involving comparative negligence are commonplace in truck accident litigation. Consider a situation where you’re making a left turn on a green signal, but a truck disregards the signal and collides with you. While you might be deemed partially liable for executing what’s deemed an “unsafe turn,” the other party could bear responsibility for speeding.
If you intend to pursue a claim, it’s essential to act swiftly. Following an accident, insurance companies may approach you. Avoid admitting fault at this stage. It’s imperative to enlist the representation of a seasoned personal injury attorney who can advocate for your rights and secure the financial compensation you rightfully deserve.
Our Process: Seeking Compensation for Truck Accident Victims
At Palermo Law, we understand the complexities involved in seeking compensation for truck accident victims. We don’t ever charge a fee unless we win your case, so choosing Palermo Law comes without financial risk. Our streamlined process is designed to provide you with comprehensive legal support while navigating the intricacies of your case:
- Initial Consultation: We begin by scheduling a free initial consultation where you can discuss the details of your truck accident with one of our experienced attorneys. During this meeting, we will listen carefully to your account of the events, assess the extent of your damages, and answer any questions you may have about the legal process.
- Case Evaluation: After gathering pertinent information about your case, our legal team conducts a thorough evaluation to determine the strength of your claim. We review evidence such as accident reports, witness statements, medical records, and any available surveillance footage to build a solid foundation for your case.
- Legal Strategy Development: Based on our assessment of your case, we develop a tailored legal strategy aimed at maximizing your chances of obtaining fair compensation. This strategy may include negotiating with insurance companies, filing a lawsuit on your behalf, or pursuing alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation or arbitration.
- Aggressive Representation: Our team of dedicated attorneys is committed to providing aggressive representation on behalf of truck accident victims. We will advocate fiercely for your rights and work tirelessly to hold negligent parties accountable for their actions.
- Regular Communication: Throughout the duration of your case, we maintain open lines of communication to keep you informed of any developments. Our staff are readily available to address your concerns, answer your questions, and provide updates on the progress of your case.
- Negotiation and Settlement: In many cases, we are able to negotiate a favorable settlement agreement that provides you with the compensation you deserve without the need for a lengthy court battle. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are fully prepared to litigate your case in court.
- Final Resolution: Once a settlement agreement has been reached or a verdict has been reached in court, we ensure that you receive the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled. We handle all aspects of the resolution process, allowing you to focus on your recovery and moving forward with your life.
Throughout every step of the process, our goal is to provide you with the highest level of legal representation and support. We are dedicated to helping truck accident victims obtain the justice and compensation they deserve.