Nassau County Workers Compensation Lawyer
Skilled Workers Comp Attorneys in Nassau County, NY
At Palermo Law, we understand that workplace injuries can be physically, emotionally, and financially taxing. If you’ve been injured on the job, our dedicated team has an experienced Nassau County Workers Compensation Lawyer who is here to help you navigate the complex world of Workers Compensation and can help you pursue third-party claims to maximize your recovery.
Why Workers Compensation Matters in New York
In the state of New York, Workers Compensation insurance is a crucial safety net for employees who suffer injuries or illnesses on the job. This insurance program provides injured workers with financial support for medical expenses, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs. It is designed to protect both employees and employers by ensuring that injured workers receive the necessary care and compensation while shielding employers from costly lawsuits.
Limitations of Workers Compensation in New York
It’s important to understand that in New York, the Workers Compensation system comes with limitations. One key limitation is that you generally cannot sue your employer for losses beyond what Workers Compensation insurance covers. This means that you cannot file a personal injury lawsuit against your employer even if their negligence caused your workplace injury. Workers Compensation is typically considered the exclusive remedy for workplace injuries when it comes to your employer. Although helpful, this insurance may not be enough to fully compensate for losses from a workplace injury.
Pursuing Third-Party Claims
However, there is an important exception to this rule. If your workplace injury was caused, in whole or in part, by the negligence of a third party, you may be eligible to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against that party in addition to your Workers Compensation claim. This is a crucial distinction because it means you can seek compensation beyond what Workers Compensation provides, potentially covering pain and suffering, future medical expenses, and more.
Who Can Be Sued as a Third Party in Nassau County Workers Comp Cases?
If you’ve suffered a workplace injury in Nassau County, it’s vital to identify potential third parties who may be liable for your injuries. Palermo Law’s experienced Workers Compensation attorneys can help you determine if your case involves a third-party claim. Here are some common examples of third parties who can be sued in workplace injury cases:
- Subcontractors and Independent Contractors: If you were injured while working on a project involving subcontractors or independent contractors, their negligence could make them liable for your injuries.
- Manufacturers and Suppliers: If a defective product or equipment contributed to your workplace injury, the manufacturer or supplier of that product may be held responsible.
- Property Owners and Managers: In cases where your injury occurred on someone else’s property, such as in a slip and fall accident, the property owner or manager may be liable if their negligence played a role in your injury.
- Motorists: If your job requires you to be on the road, and you were involved in a motor vehicle accident while working, the negligent driver of another vehicle could be sued for compensation.
- Maintenance and Repair Companies: If inadequate maintenance or repairs on equipment or premises led to your injury, the companies responsible for these services may be held accountable.
- Professional Negligence: In some cases, professionals such as engineers or architects may be liable if their negligent actions or decisions contributed to your workplace injury.
Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
Navigating the complexities of Workers Compensation and pursuing third-party claims can be challenging, especially when you’re dealing with the physical and emotional toll of a workplace injury. This is where Palermo Law’s experienced Nassau County personal injury lawyers come in. Here’s why hiring an attorney is essential:
- Legal Knowledge: Our attorneys have in-depth knowledge of New York’s Workers Compensation laws and personal injury statutes. We have nearly three decades of experience and know how to build strong cases and pursue maximum compensation.
- Thorough Investigations: We conduct comprehensive investigations to identify all responsible parties and gather evidence to support your claims.
- Negotiation Skills: We have a track record of successful negotiations with insurance companies and opposing counsel, ensuring you receive fair compensation.
- Courtroom Experience: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, we are prepared to take your case to court and fight for your rights before a judge and jury.
- Peace of Mind: With Palermo Law by your side, you can focus on your recovery while we handle the legal complexities of your case.
Contact a Palermo Law Nassau County Workers Compensation Lawyer Today
If you’ve suffered a workplace injury in Nassau County, New York, don’t navigate the legal process alone. Let Palermo Law‘s Workers Compensation and personal injury attorneys guide you through the intricacies of your case. We’re committed to helping you secure the compensation you deserve, beyond Worker’s Comp benefits. Contact us today.