Riverhead Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Our law firm has a long-standing reputation for providing exceptional legal representation to victims of drunk driving accidents. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed by a drunk driver, we understand the trauma and pain you are experiencing. A compassionate and experienced Riverhead Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer is here to help you seek justice and financial compensation for your losses.
Drunk driving is a serious problem in Riverhead and across the country. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), every day, 29 people die in drunk driving accidents in the United States. In New York alone, there were 7,639 alcohol-related crashes in 2019, resulting in 311 fatalities and 5,337 injuries.
In Riverhead, drunk driving accidents are a frequent occurrence. These accidents not only cause physical harm but also emotional and financial burdens on victims and their families.
Common Injuries in Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving accidents can cause a wide range of injuries, from minor bruises to life-threatening injuries. Some common injuries resulting from drunk driving accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Broken bones and fractures
- Internal injuries, including organ damage and internal bleeding
- Burns and lacerations
- Emotional and psychological trauma
If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident in Riverhead, it is crucial to seek medical attention right away, even if you do not feel any pain or discomfort. Some injuries may not show symptoms immediately, and delayed treatment can result in serious complications or even death.
Legal Options for Drunk Driving Accident Victims
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. New York law allows victims of drunk driving accidents to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver, seeking compensation for their losses.
To win a personal injury lawsuit, you must prove that the other driver was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries. In drunk driving cases, this often involves proving that the other driver was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident.
At Palermo Law, we have extensive experience representing victims of drunk driving accidents in Riverhead. Our attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering evidence to prove the other driver’s negligence. This may include police reports, witness statements, and medical records.
We will also work with medical experts and other professionals to calculate the full extent of your damages, including your current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We understand that every case is unique, and we will work tirelessly to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to under the law.
What To Do if You’re Sharing the Road with a Drunk Driver
If you are sharing the road with a drunk driver, it is important to take steps to protect yourself and others on the road. Here are some things you should do:
- Keep a safe distance: If you suspect that a driver is drunk, keep a safe distance from their vehicle. This will give you more time to react if the driver suddenly swerves or loses control of their vehicle.
- Avoid confrontation: Do not try to confront the driver or make gestures to indicate your disapproval. This may provoke the driver and cause them to drive even more recklessly.
- Call the police: If you can safely do so, call the police and report the drunk driver. Provide them with as much information as possible, including the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number, and the location of the vehicle.
- Pull over: If you feel unsafe sharing the road with a drunk driver, pull over to a safe location and wait until the driver has passed.
- Stay alert: Keep an eye out for signs of drunk driving, such as swerving, sudden lane changes, or driving at inconsistent speeds. If you see these signs, stay away from the driver and report them to the police.
- Be prepared: Always wear your seatbelt and make sure your passengers do the same. Also, keep a first aid kit and a charged cell phone with you in case of an emergency.
In summary, if you are sharing the road with a drunk driver, the most important thing is to prioritize your safety and the safety of others on the road. Keep a safe distance, avoid confrontation, call the police, pull over if necessary, stay alert, and be prepared for any emergency situations.
Contact a Riverhead Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a drunk driving accident in Riverhead, it is important to take action right away. Contact Palermo Law today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. We will review your case, answer your questions, and help you understand your legal options.
Remember, time is of the essence in drunk driving cases. New York law has strict deadlines for filing personal injury lawsuits, so it is important to act quickly to protect your rights. Let us help you seek justice and financial compensation for your losses. Call us today to get started.