Riverhead Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Riverhead, NY
In the eastern end of Long Island, there are many pedestrians walking about. Between the Riverhead outlets, numerous shopping centers, and the downtown area, Riverhead especially has a lot of pedestrians around motor vehicles. If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident in Riverhead, the experienced attorneys at Palermo Law are here to help. Our team has the knowledge and expertise to navigate the legal system and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Pedestrian accidents can be devastating, leading to serious injuries, medical bills, and lost wages. Our attorneys have seen firsthand the physical and emotional toll these accidents can take on victims and their families. We are committed to providing compassionate and effective representation to help our clients get back on their feet.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Riverhead
Pedestrian accidents can happen anywhere, but they are especially common in busy areas like Riverhead. Some common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving: When drivers are distracted by their phones, music, or other passengers, they may not see pedestrians crossing the road.
- Parking lots: Riverhead has many parking lots which means an increase of pedestrians and a decrease in a driver’s visibility
- Failure to yield: Drivers are required to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, but some may fail to do so.
- Speeding: Drivers who are going too fast may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
- Intoxication: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol may have impaired judgment and reaction time, making it more likely they will hit a pedestrian.
- Poor visibility: Pedestrian accidents are more likely to happen at night or in low-light conditions when drivers may not be able to see pedestrians as easily.
How We Can Help
At Palermo Law, we understand that pedestrian accidents can be overwhelming, and you may not know where to turn. Our team is here to guide you through the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. Here are some of the ways we can help:
- Investigation: We will investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and gather evidence to support your claim.
- Negotiation: We will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you receive a fair settlement.
- Litigation: If necessary, we will take your case to court to fight for the compensation you deserve.
- Communication: We will keep you informed throughout the process and answer any questions you may have.
Compensation for Pedestrian Accidents
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills, including hospitalization, surgery, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages, if you are unable to work due to your injuries
- Pain and suffering, including physical and emotional distress
- Future financial compensation, if the injury affects you financially in the future or if full recovery isn’t possible
It is important to note that New York State follows a comparative negligence rule, which means that your compensation may be reduced if you were partially at fault for the accident. For example, if you were crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, you may be found partially at fault for the accident.
Driving Defensively to Avoid Pedestrians
Defensive driving is a crucial aspect of staying safe on the roads, and there are several steps that drivers can take to minimize the risk of pedestrian accidents.
- Always Be Alert: One of the most important steps that drivers can take to stay safe around pedestrians is to remain alert at all times. This means avoiding distractions like cell phones, food, and music, and instead focusing fully on the road and surrounding environment. Pay attention to all potential hazards, including pedestrians, and be prepared to react quickly if necessary.
- Follow Traffic Rules: Traffic rules and regulations are put in place to keep everyone on the road safe, including pedestrians. It is important for drivers to obey speed limits, stop at stop signs and red lights, and yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. By following these rules, drivers can help to ensure that everyone on the road is able to move safely and efficiently.
- Look Ahead: Looking ahead while driving is an essential part of staying safe on the road. Drivers should always be aware of what is happening several car lengths ahead of them, and be prepared to adjust their speed and position accordingly. By anticipating potential hazards and taking preventative action, drivers can help to minimize the risk of accidents involving pedestrians.
- Use Caution at Night: Pedestrian accidents are more common at night, when visibility is limited. To minimize the risk of accidents during nighttime driving, drivers should use caution and reduce their speed. It is also important to use headlights and high beams as needed to ensure maximum visibility.
- Be Patient: Pedestrians are an important part of the road environment, and drivers should be patient when sharing the road with them. This means allowing pedestrians plenty of time to cross the road, and not honking or otherwise pressuring them to move more quickly. By being patient and courteous, drivers can help to create a safer road environment for everyone.
- Avoid Drowsy or Impaired Driving: Drowsy or impaired driving can impair a driver’s reaction time and judgment, making it more difficult to respond to potential hazards on the road. To avoid causing accidents involving pedestrians, drivers should avoid driving while drowsy or impaired, and seek alternative transportation if they are not in a condition to drive safely.
By following these defensive driving tips, drivers can help to minimize the risk of accidents involving pedestrians. However, accidents can still happen, and it is important to seek the help of an experienced attorney if you or a loved one is involved in a pedestrian accident. At Palermo Law, we are here to help, and are committed to fighting for the rights of our clients to ensure they receive the compensation they deserve.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation with Our Riverhead Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident in Riverhead, it is important to act quickly. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in New York is three years, so it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible.
At Palermo Law, we offer free consultations to discuss your case and determine your legal options. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay anything unless we win your case. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and let us help you get the compensation you deserve.