Ronkonkoma Personal Injury Lawyer
Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Ronkonkoma, NY
Being injured in an accident can have severe repercussions on your life. Between medical bills, lost income, and not being able to enjoy everyday life events, a personal injury affects just about all parts of your life. Our Ronkonkoma personal injury lawyers have helped thousands of people through difficult times by providing sound legal guidance and aggressive representation. Dealing with an injury is never expected and rarely financially planned for. Let our skilled lawyers make sure your rights are protected and walk you through the process of getting compensated.
We handle all types of personal injury cases in Ronkonkoma such as car accidents, premises liability cases, work incidents, construction injuries and many other types of claims. We always offer a free no obligation initial consultation at any of our six locations. We can even come to you if you are unable to make it into one of our offices.
No Fee Promise
Our Ronkonkoma personal injury lawyers never charge an upfront fee to pursue your claim. We always work on a contingency basis meaning that we will only get paid if we win your claim and obtain compensation for you for your injuries. If we are unable to win your claim, there is never a fee for our services.
We Can Even Make House Calls
We have six locations throughout Long Island with two offices in close proximity to Ronkonkoma. Our Hauppauge and Patchogue offices are only a few miles from the heart of Ronkonkoma. But we also have offices in Riverhead, Babylon, Huntington and Garden City.
However, we understand that being in an accident may make it difficult for you to travel. That’s why our Ronkonkoma injury attorneys are available to come to you, whether that’s at your home, hospital or other location. We even offer evening and weekend appointments.
Two Decades Of Success
We have been representing Ronkonkoma personal injury clients for over two decades and in that time, we have had some great successes. Here are some examples of compensation we have won for our clients:
- 5.5 Million Dollar Verdict: Our firm represented a woman that was assaulted by a man accidentally released from prison. The man also assaulted and killed a second woman. We sued the State of New York for our client’s damages. We tried the matter jointly with the law firm representing the second woman. The Judge awarded a combined verdict of 5.5 million dollars for the two women.
- 3.2 Million Dollar Settlement: Our client was a young boy that was struck by a truck sustaining serious injuries. We were able to secure a 3.2 million dollar settlement through a mediation.
- 1.7 Million Dollar Settlement: Our client was injured while working on a construction site when a vehicle broached a traffic barrier and crossed into the construction site striking our client. We were able to negotiate a 1.7 million dollar settlement without a trial.
- 1.5 Million Dollar Settlement: We represented a young woman that was a passenger in a car that was struck by a commercial vehicle. Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury. We were able to secure a 1.5 million dollar settlement for her injuries.
Unlike some other law firms, our Ronkonkoma personal injury lawyers don’t just sign up a case and wait for the insurance company to call with a settlement offer. We are proactive in our representation. Once retained we will do a complete investigation gathering all relevant information for your claim including accident reports, photos, witness statements and medical records. We will even hire experts in the field of accident reconstruction and engineering if called for.
Once we have built your case, we will give the insurance company a fair opportunity to resolve the matter through negotiation. If an offer is not made, we will immediately begin litigating your claim in court. We will do all the necessary discovery to get the matter ready for trial. Finally, if the insurance company fails to make a fair offer by the time the case is ready for trial, we will try your case seeking to receive the compensation that you are entitled to.
We believe this trial ready strategy yields the best results when it comes to personal injury claims. Although the vast majority of cases will settle at some point prior to a trial, an attorney can only push for a maximum settlement if they are ready to try the matter. Insurance company lawyers know when an attorney is ready to try a case and when they are not. That’s why we prepare every claim as if it’s going to be tried using that leverage to fight for the most compensation possible.
Steps To Follow After an Accident:
- Always seek medical attention for your injuries. Make sure that you are physically ok. Also, be careful to document all of your pain including the minor ones. Sometimes it is those small nagging injuries that turn out to be long lasting and most serious and often require surgery. It’s always better for your case if those types of injuries are documented from the very beginning.
- Take photos and videos. Documenting the accident scene, property damage and your injuries may turn out to be very useful if the at fault party tries to lie about how your accident happened or an insurance company lawyer tries to claim you were not seriously injured.
- Don’t speak to investigators from the insurance company. Often after an accident the insurance company for the responsible party will reach out to you for information. It is never a good idea to cooperate with these investigators. No matter how friendly they are, you should always remember that their main goal is to save their insurance company money. One of the ways they do this by using information that you provide them to their advantage. So, it’s best not to speak to them. Also, you should always remember that you have absolutely no legal obligation to cooperate with their investigation.
Hire a qualified personal injury lawyer in Ronkonkoma
A good lawyer can protect your legal interests and possibly obtain compensation for you. Most attorneys offer a free consultation to review the facts of your potential claim. So, it’s never a bad idea to speak to someone.
Types Of Injuries We Handle
Our Ronkonkoma personal injury lawyers have represented people that have suffered a wide range of injuries over the last two decades. So, we’ve seen just about every type of injury imaginable. However, there are some injuries that are more common than others that we deal with on a regular basis including the following:
- Neck and back pain
- Traumatic brain injuries/concussions
- Shoulder and knee pains
- Ligament, cartilage and tendon tears
- And many others
This pandemic has been hard on us all, and it has made a difference in how cases are handled. Many court appearances and other related matters are handled virtually rather than in person. Our attorneys have become proficient in this process and your case will get the same attention from the court that it would if the court was operating in person.
Although, COVID has made a difference on the time a case can take to reach settlement. At the beginning of the pandemic, most of the courts were closed for a substantial amount of time, which caused a delay in processing cases once it opened back up. The good news is, our staff works tirelessly to follow up on all matters to make sure that our cases are moving along swiftly through the court system and aren’t caught up in the delay.
How Do I Obtain a Police Report Via New York State DMV?
In order to obtain a police report, you must go through the state’s department of motor vehicles website and request a copy. An attorney can handle this for you, but if you would like to obtain one on your own it is possible. The ordering of a report costs a total of 22 dollars. This includes an initial search fee, and then a fee for the report itself.
- Visit the website at NYS DMV | Get Motor Vehicle Accident Reports | Enter Information
- First, you would conduct an initial free search in order to see if the DMV has your report. You would click the option “List Reports On File By Date”, select the count you were in, and enter in the date of accident. You would then hit the search button.
- Here, you should see a report with your date of accident and name on it. If your report is listed, it would mean that your report is accessible. If you do not see your report listed here, you can stop at this step and try again in a week. It can take several weeks for your report to be available online.
- If your report was available, you would then conduct a “Paid” search which would cost $7. You can search by plate number, license number or DMV accident case number. Be aware, you will be charged even if you do not enter in the correct information so make sure the information you enter is right, and that your report is available. Once you find your report, you can order it online for 15 dollars. You will have access to the report for 7 days after purchase, after which it will expire, so make sure you print a copy or save one.
Types of Injuries You Can File a Claim
For many of the clients we see have a common concern. “Can I file an injury claim for my injuries?” The truth is, you can file a claim for almost any type of injury. Accidents can come with all types of injuries. The most common types of injuries are:
- Traumatic brain juries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Knee Injuries
- Neck Injuries
- Food & ankle injuries
- Shoulder Injuries
- Soft Tissue Damages
While injuries are common following an accident, there are also losses that aren’t physical in nature. You can also claim damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical Bills
- Lost Wages or Future Loss of
- Assistive Services
- Diminished Earning Capacity
- Property Damage
- And more
What Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
There is unfortunately no simple answer to this question. There are so many factors involved, such as the circumstances of the incident, the extent of the injuries, and the amount of treatment, that it’s impossible to provide such a simple answer to this question. The truth is, the only way to really know is to have an attorney spend time in assessing all the factors involved in your injury case.
Deadlines You Should Keep In Mind
There are certain deadlines that you must be aware of if you are injured as a result of another person’s negligence. Failing to adhere to these deadlines could result in you being barred from pursuing your case.
In New York State the statute of limitations is generally three years for negligence cases and two years for wrongful death cases. However, there are certain instances when that statute is reduced. For example, if your injury was caused a municipality or governmental agency, the statute of limitations is reduced to one year and ninety days. Also, you are required to file a notice of claim within 90 days of your accident. Failing to do meet these requirements, your claim will be time barred meaning you won’t be able to pursue compensation.
It’s not always clear when you are dealing with a shortened statute of limitations. Therefore, it’s always best to reach out to an experienced Ronkonkoma personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Don’t Negotiate With An Insurance Company On Your Own
Often following an accident an insurance company will call you up and offer you money for your troubles. The problem is that they will want you to sign a general release before they give you the money. Signing that release means that you can no longer pursue a case for your injuries against the responsible party no matter how bad the pain gets. Often the full extent of your injuries is not none until weeks or months after you are hurt.
That’s why It’s always best to not accept money for your claim until you speak to a qualified Ronkonkoma personal injury lawyer. Only a skilled professional can accurately determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to receive. Further, studies have shown that a lawyer obtains three times the amount of compensation for their clients than an unrepresented person receives. Therefore, it’s never a bad idea to have a free consultation with an attorney to discuss your legal options.
About Our Ronkonkoma Personal Injury Law Firm
Palermo Law has been representing injury clients for over two decades. We have been fighting it out against insurance companies since our inception. We have never worked for an insurance company and never will. We are only beholden to our clients. Frankly, we don’t like insurance companies. We find them to be bullies, using their money to fight to deny truly injured people their fair compensation. They’re only concerned with their bottom line profits. It’s only when they are held accountable that they do the right thing. It is always our goal to force an insurance company to pay attention to you and your injuries and not their bottom line profits. We try to do this through negotiation as we feel this is best for our clients. But if need be, we are always willing to battle it out in court with them for the sake of our clients.